So you want to be a writer? A great novel in your mind and you want to get it down. Here's some advice on how to get started:
1. Start writing- It's really that easy. Start putting your ideas down on to paper. The scariest part of writing a novel is that first blank page. Once you have started to put down your half baked ideas, you will see it start coming together. Once you've finished your first page, write another and another and keep going.
2. Set a daily target- I don't know about you but I certainly work better with targets. Set a word count target for yourself and stick to it. Even if you manage 100 words a day, all you have to do is keep going and you will eventually get to the end. I personally write 1000 a day.
3. Avoid distractions- Get rid of your social media. Switch off the tv. Don't surf the web. Anything that is going to distract you from hitting your daily target isn't worth having around. Let's face it, do you really need to watch that episode on Netflix tonight?
4. Tell someone- Tell a friend or a family member what you are doing. Even better, announce it on Facebook. Once you've committed publicly, you'll be more inclined to see it through to th end.
5. Read- Read other people's work. See what you enjoy and how it's laid out. Read before bed rather than flicking through your phone. It's research.
I hope that those of you who have been wanting to write your own novel for a while, see this and decide to finally pick up your pen and start writing. If any of you need a hand getting your work uploaded publicly, email me at email@example.com and I'll be more than happy to help. No cost involved 😃
M. W. Rowe